воскресенье, 19 августа 2018 г.

My life as a pastor's wife.

I couldn't help but smile as I sat on the stoop of the appartment building where I lived with my husband, David. Looking up and down the busy street, there were just so many people, so many souls that David could potentially save!

It was a rare opportunity, the one that had been afforded to David and me. Since the Church first came to the small town he and I called home, very few people had ever left. Actually, aside from David and me, none had left! With good reason, mind you. Once we became members of the Church, there wasn't anything out there that could possibly lure us away!
I still remember the stupid, lost man that I was before the pastor first came to town. I spent my days working whatever odd-jobs I could find and my evenings drinking away whatever little money I'd made alongside the town's other young men. We all had dreams of going "to the city" and finding real work and living real lives. But in the end, none of us actually did leave.
When the pastor came to town and opened up his church, only a few people went at first. It wasn't long, though, before those few who went the first time managed to convince everybody else in town to check the new church out. And for most of us who were there that second Sunday, we were hooked moments after the pastor launched into his sermon.
The pastor's church mandated that all who join be baptized anew, even if they'd been baptized beforehand. Most of the baptisms were unremarkable, but a few, like my own, came with unexpectant changes. There was a slight majority of men in the town before the pastor came, but after being baptized enough men miraculously became woment to balance that all out!
I found my new gender strange at first, but quickly accepted it as the price of my salvation. I fully accepted with strict dress code for women in our Church: always wear dresses and skirts, always with pantyhose, even at home. I was paired up with David, a formerly military, a big, strong man 10 years older than me who seemed to develop quite the zeal for his new faith. He soon began training under the pastor and became a sort of apprentice to the man. And as David's girlfriend, and eventually wife, I found myself being drawn into things like the church's women's bible studies and bake sales and those sorts of things.
Then, recently, the pastor told David of a new calling he felt it was time for him to endeavor upon. Apparently David was to travel to the big city, along with me, and the two of us were to set up a new congregation there. It was an exciting opportunity, if also a frightening one.
' The city, with its size and diversity of creeds, has been quite the adjustment for David and me both. Just the same, though, David managed to rent a small space where we held our first few Sunday services, and just as it had in our home town, it has managed to boom quite impressively. In fact, I spent much of today looking into larger spaces we might rent using the income from all the tithes that are now coming in!
We're hopeful that, given a year or two, we might even be able to bring most of the city into the fold. It's a lofty goal, for sure, but we've seen the wonderful things God wrought at home, and which are at work here. We have faith that the faith will spread here just as it did at home. And then, God willing, when the time comes, David may even be able to send others out to start new congregations just as the pastor back home spent David.

As for me, I'm honored to be a pastor's wife and to help my husband where I can in his ministry, and am eternally grateful to the pastor for giving me the opportunity to get to be David's wife and fellow-worker in his ministry! Our children (we have two already) will grow the real religious persons like their parents.

Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий