понедельник, 19 ноября 2018 г.

The blessing.

I always had something of an obsession with old buildings. I was just fascinated by the history. Why was it built in the first place? Why was it abandoned? What did it look like back in its hay day?
Of course, some buildings were easier to figure out than others. Such was the case when I happened upon an old church along the side of a highway while driving cross-country for my brother's wedding, where I was to be the best man. I needed a break to stretch my legs, and the place looked to be sturdy enough, so I decided to pull over and check it out.
Years of exposure to the elements had stripped most of the paint from the building's exterior, though I could tell from the odd remaining speck that it was likely once white. The steeple looked to be precariously attached, but aside from that the building itself looked to be holding up fairly well.
I stepped inside and was surprised to see that I was not alone. Standing up by the altar was an old man. He was dressed as a pastor.
"Step forward, my child, and receive a blessing," the man said with a smile.
I'm not sure why I did what he asked me to. I just felt sort of... compelled, I guess. I stepped forward and kneeled before the man. He placed his hands on my head. I closed my eyes, and when I opened them again, he was gone!
A moment later, I noticed something about the way my body felt was just... wrong, I guess. I looked down, and you can imagine my surprise when I sawn a woman's body!
I rushed towards the exit of the building, but stopped short at its entrance. It dawned on me that I was suddenly wearing heels, but despite having never had them on before I seemed to have little issue keeping my balance. I wore skirt and pantyhose and it was so right for me. It then dawned on me that, while my body certainly felt strange, I seemed to be carrying myself as though I'd always been a woman!
A thousand questions ran through my mind. Who was that man? Had my mind changed as well as my body and clothes? Where the changes finished? Had only I changed, or did reality shift to accomodate my suddenly being a woman?
Whatever the answer to those questions, I didn't think I would find them there. So I rushed to my car where I found a big strong man and two boys, 3 and 5 years old...

"What did you do there, dear?" asked he and boys screamed: "Mommie! Mommie!"

"I begged the Lord to give us still and daughter." I answered with smile and kissed my husband and hugged the sons.

 And as we drove away from the church, when I happened to look back, I saw that the building too seemed to have disappeared. And then, somehow I knew that the "blessing" that had been bestowed upon me was womanhood, marriage and motherhood. And  I would remain a woman for the rest of my life!

3 комментария: